As we start the school year, I would like to take this opportunity to share our arrival and dismissal procedures here at Memorial School with our school community. I want to assure all parents that lots of time and consideration has been taken to ensure the safety of the children of Memorial School while keeping in mind all of the many stakeholders that are directly affected by this change. The guidelines below will help to assist with a smooth operation and make certain the students remain safe.
School doors open at 8:25 a.m. at which time staff is available for supervision. Students arriving before this time will remain outside and be unsupervised. Students will not be allowed to play in the new playground area before the start of school as well as in the morning or after dismissal in the afternoon. Students are expected to leave the school grounds upon dismissal.
Classes begins at 8:25 a.m. for Pre-K students and 8:35 for grades K-4. This is when the teachers pick up the children from the morning arrival spot. All children arriving late must report directly to the Main Office via the front entrance to obtain a late pass. Please be reminded that five tardies equals one absence.
Drop-Off 8:25 a.m. - 8:35 a.m.
* (Option 1) If you are simply dropping your child off in the morning and wish to continue on after they have safely exited your vehicle, you may do so via the drop-off/pick-up lane located at the top of the parking lot directly in front of Memorial School. This lane is accessible from the bottom of Squaw Brook Road and empties back out onto Squaw Brook Road or High Mountain Road.
Please note: You may not park in the drop off lane for an extended period of time or leave your vehicle unattended while dropping your child off. This lane is simply for those parents/guardians who would like to drop their child off and continue out the exits towards Squaw Brook Road or High Mountain Road. If you would like to park, you must do so in the available spaces located at the bottom of the lot.
* (Option 2) The (2) buses which transport some of our student population will be utilizing the cut-out lane located at the top of Squaw Brook Road. Parents will not be able to drop off students in this lane any longer.
* (Option 3) If you wish to park and accompany your child to the school grounds in the morning, you may park in any remaining spaces located in the parking lot, or on any surrounding streets where parking may be available. Parking on Squaw Brook Road or in the church parking lot is no longer permitted. * All children, regardless of their drop-off point, or means of transportation, must access their designated line-up area using the sidewalk, which outlines the building and grounds. Students will not be permitted to cross in front of cars within the drop-off lane, or after exiting a car that is parked in a designated parking lot space.
Line-up Procedures: 8:25 a.m. - 8:35 a.m.
Upon arrival, students in Kindergarten will proceed through the front doors of Memorial School and proceed directly to their classrooms were they will sit outside of their classrooms where a Kindergarten teacher will be on duty.
Upon arrival, students in Grades 1 through 4 will proceed through the front doors of Memorial School and proceed directly to the gymnasium where they will line up in their designated areas.
During inclement weather, all students will follow the above-mentioned procedure. Upon arrival, students will enter the building through the main entrance doors and wait in the vestibule, located in front of the main office, until 8:25 am. Kindergarten students will then proceed to their classrooms and students in Grades 1 through 4 will proceed to the gymnasium and line-up with their classes.
Pick-Up: 2:59 p.m. – 3:10 p.m.
• All bus students are dismissed at 2:49 p.m. and all remaining students will remain in their classrooms until they are dismissed at 2:59 p.m. At 2:59 p.m. students that will be walking directly home will be dismissed from the exit located on the side of Memorial School along Squaw Brook Rd. All students in grades K-4 that are being picked via the pick-up lane will be dismissed from the front entrance of Memorial School.
• If you do not pick your child(ren) up by the conclusion of the dismissal process, your child(ren) will be sent to the aftercare program. Please be aware that you will be assessed a charge for their services. Students in grades K – 4
• (Option 1 – “Car”) - When picking up your child, you may drive through the separate pick-up/drop off lane, which is accessible from the top of Squaw Brook Road. Using this lane will allow you to pull up directly in front of the school. As you enter the school parking lot when picking up your child, please place your child’s Name Identification Tag on the passenger side windshield of your vehicle. This will help to expedite the process of picking up your child and allow the Memorial School Teachers to identify the correct vehicle to release your child. Upon pick-up you may proceed out the pick-up/drop off lane via Squaw Brook Road or High Mountain Road. Memorial School Teachers will be present to assist your child to your car in this particular lane. Please pull all the way up and your child will come to you. Please know that it is the responsibility of the parents/guardians to fasten your child’s safety belt before departing from the pick-in line.
• (Option 2 – “Walkers”) - Parents/Guardians electing to park in empty spaces contained within the parking lot or on neighboring streets must exit their vehicle and accompany their child back to their vehicle using the sidewalk along Squaw Brook Road. Students and parents will not be allowed to cross through the parking lot.
*Carpool arrangements need to be submitted in writing by filing out Memorial School’s new carpool form, which will be kept on file in the main office. As always, please refrain from changing your child’s pick-up schedule. If a change needs to be made due to an emergency, please notify the main office on the given day prior to 2:00p.m. For safety reasons, all change requests made after 2:00 p.m. will not be granted.*
Rules of the Road
• Please form one single lane on the far right side of North Haledon Avenue.
• Maintain a single line on the right side of Squaw Brook Road. Please continue to stay in a single line as you enter the pick-up entrance.
• Please be reminded that there are not three lanes of traffic on Squaw Brook Road. The right lane is the pick-up lane only. The left lane is the lane to be used to maintain the flow of traffic.
• Please be reminded that vehicle will no longer be able to enter the entrance at the top of Squaw Brook Road. This entrance will only be used by school buses.
• Please ensure that all doors to your vehicle are closed and that you have buckled your child(ren) in before moving your vehicle. While we understand that the arrival and dismissal process can be frustrating and stressful at times, it is imperative to remember that one of our top priorities at Memorial School is the safety of everyone. As a professional learning community it is important that we continue to work together to ensure we are making this process as smooth as possible.